- Before adding a list of tables in your Word document, you need to add captions to them.
- You can add a list of tables in Word from the references ribbon.
- The method of adding a list of tables in an MS Word document is the same as adding a list of Figures.
Working on a report and want to add a list of tables to it? If you want to know how to add list of tables in Word, read this article.
If you are searching how do I automatically insert a list of tables in word, here is the answer. This is a quick guide on how to insert a list of tables in MS word documents.
If your Microsoft Word document has many tables and figures in the appendices, you need to create a separate list of tables and figures in it. This how-to will make creating lists of tables less time-consuming.
How To Add List Of Tables In Word
Before adding a list of tables in a Word document, make sure you have given appropriate captions to them. But if you haven’t, follow the below steps to add captions to tables.
Firstly, click on the table and then click on REFERENCES.
Then in the REFERENCES tab, click on the Insert caption.
Repeat this process for all the tables in your Word document. After captioning all the tables, you are ready to insert a list of tables into it.
Steps To Insert List Of Tables In Word
- Type the heading List of Tables, assign the Heading 1 style, and click where you want to insert the list.
- Click on REFERENCES and then click List of figures.
- In the resulting dialog, choose Table from the Caption Label dropdown.
- Uncheck the Use Hyperlinks Instead Of Page Numbers option.
- Click OK.
You will see that the list of tables has been added successfully.
How To Update List of tables In Word
If you add, delete, change, or move captions, use Update Table so the list of tables reflects your changes.
- Click on the list of tables in your document. This will highlight the entire list.
- Click References > Update Table.
- Note: Update Table becomes an option only when you click the table of figures in your document. You can also press F9 to modify your list of tables.
- Select an Update in the in the Update Table of Figures dialog box.
- Select Update page numbers if you need to adjust the page numbers.
- Select Update entire table if you have moved tables or altered captions.
- Click OK.