- Commonwealth scholarship is Funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) for talented students who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- Commonwealth (CW) Scholarships are for candidates from low- and middle-income Commonwealth countries for full-time study (Masters & Ph.D.) in the United Kingdom.
- You can apply for a commonwealth scholarship by applying through a National Nominating agency of your country to be awarded the scholarship.
- Also, you need to submit online applications at the Commonwealth and HEC portal.
Are you looking for scholarships in foreign countries? Are you a shining student and want to study in the UK to make a change on the global stage? If yes, a commonwealth scholarship can make your dream a reality.
Do you know you can apply for a commonwealth scholarship in Pakistan? This article will share all the details of commonwealth scholarships for Pakistani students and how to apply for commonwealth scholarships.
Before going forward, let’s discuss what commonwealth scholarship is.
What Is Commonwealth Scholarship
Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) empower talented and motivated individuals to get the knowledge and skills needed for sustainable development and are intended for those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
The purpose of commonwealth scholarship is to help the development needs of Commonwealth countries by fostering research that will have a developmental influence.
These awards will also improve individual teaching and research capability leading to growing institutional capacity in academic and other Commonwealth countries. In addition, they will assist UK higher education and research by inviting high-caliber international candidates and promoting links and collaboration.
Programs Offered In Commonwealth Scholarships
Commonwealth (CW) Scholarships are for candidates from low- and middle-income Commonwealth countries for full-time study (Masters & Ph.D.) in the United Kingdom. These scholarships are granted under the following six topics:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
How To Apply For Commonwealth Scholarship 2022
Read and follow the below steps carefully to apply for the commonwealth scholarship 2022.
Firstly, to apply for a commonwealth scholarship in Pakistan, you need to submit a commonwealth online application through EAS (Electronic Application System).
And secondly, you need to submit HEC online application through your HEC eportal profile.
The complete description of both these steps is as under:
Step- 1 (Commonwealth Online Application)
- Apply online to Commonwealth (CW) Scholarship for Master & Doctoral studies (PhD) through their Electronic Application System (EAS) at:
Step – 2 (HEC Online application)
- Apply online at HEC website: https://eportal.hec.gov.pk. After registering and filling your profile, please select “Learning Opportunities Abroad” under “Scholarship and Grant” menu in left hand side panel of the online portal.
- While submitting an online application at HEC website, do attach scan copy of deposit slip of Rs. 800/- (non-refundable) deposited in HEC online Account No. 17427900133401 in HBL, Sector H-9, Islamabad for HEC Aptitude Test (HAT) to be conducted by Education Testing Council (ETC). All payments are to be made to HEC through HBL online facility available across HBL branches in Pakistan.
If you fail to submit online application forms on BOTH websites mentioned at Step (1) & Step (2) below, your application will not be considered for further processing.
Important Tips For Applying For Commonwealth Scholarships
- Before applying, kindly update your HEC eportal profile with latest email/cell number & updated information.
- Application without submitting both Commonwealth Application form and online HEC form will not be entertained in any case (submitted applications must also be complete in all aspects)
- Save your HEC online application & Commonwealth online application after successful submission to relevant portals.
- Hardcopies of HEC application form (along with relevant academic documents viz. transcripts, equivalence for a foreign degree, statement of purpose, research plan/proposal, copies of CNIC, Domicile) & submitted Commonwealth scholarship forms (proof of minimum 02 references & placement letter) may be kept saved. They will be taken from shortlisted candidates only
- DO NOT SEND YOUR HARD COPIES OF THE APPLICATIONS.
Documents Required For Applying To Commonwealth Scholarship 2021/2022
Before you start the online application, you must assure that you have the following documents handy:
- Proof of citizenship. If the applicant is a refugee, documents showing refugee status is required as well.
- Full transcripts detailing all higher education qualifications.
- University degree certificates
- References from two individuals is to be submitted by the referee in the online application system.
- Supporting statement from a proposed supervisor in the UK from at least one institution listed in the application form and it has to be directly submitted by the supervisor.
- The documents uploaded on the online application system must not exceed 5 MB in size and must be in any of the following formats: PDF, Doc, Docx, JPG.
Who is Eligible to Apply for Commonwealth Scholarship?
- To apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of a Commonwealth country. You will still be eligible if you are a refugee or British-protected person.
- You also need to have an undergraduate honors degree of at least upper second class (2:1). If you wish to study for a Ph.D., you will need an appropriate master’s degree too.
- Finally, you must be unable to afford to study in the UK without a scholarship.
Commonwealth Scholarship 2022 Deadline
The last date of submitting the online application form for commonwealth scholarships 2022 was 16:00 (GMT) on 1 November 2021.
And the deadline for reference submission for commonwealth scholarships 2022 was 16:00 (GMT) on 22 November 2021