WhatsApp is one of the most-used applications for communicating with friends, family, office colleagues, and more. The messaging application is also widely used to convey formal messages to your clients, boss, and more. So, it is important of utter importance that you keep all the chats, photos, videos, and more backed up just in case of an emergency.
Thankfully, WhatsApp allows you to easily back up all your messages, photos, documents, and more on cloud storage. One can easily backup WhatsApp chats on Google Drive and iCloud storage. This article will tell you how to backup your WhatsApp chat on Android and iPhone by following some simple steps. So, without wasting your time, let’s begin.
Table of Contents
How to Take Backup of WhatsApp Messages on Android?
WhatsApp allows you to backup all your chats, messages, videos, documents, and more on Android devices. All you need to do is have some free storage on your Google Drive, and the rest of the things will be taken care of by the application itself. Here’s what you need to do to backup WhatsApp chats on your Android smartphone:
- Open the WhatsApp application on your Android smartphone.
- Click on the Settings icon and head to the Chats section.
- There, you need to click on Chat Backup and then click on Backup up to Google Drive.
- Next, you need to select the backup frequency. You can choose from different options like Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Manually.
- Once done, click on Google Account and choose the account you would want to back up your chat history to. One can also add an account to back up the data to a new Google Account.
- Next, you need to select whether you want to backup your messages over a network or WiFi. It is always better to backup your chats using WiFi.
With this, you will be able to back up your data on your Android smartphone with ease.
Steps to WhatsApp Chat Backup on Android
How to Take Backup of WhatsApp Messages on iPhone?
WhatsApp also allows you to backup your WhatsApp messages to cloud storage. However, in this case, it will be stored in iCloud and not on Google Drive. Here’s how you can do it:
Steps to WhatsApp Chat Backup on iPhone
- Open the WhatsApp application on your iPhone and head to the Settings icon.
- Click on the Chats option and then go to Chat Backup.
- Simply click on Back Up Now to upload all your Chats, photos, and more to iCloud storage.
Moreover, you can also enable automatic updates by simply clicking on the Auto Backup and then login into your iCloud account. You also have an option to upload videos or not from this menu.
How much Space does WhatsApp take in Google Drive?
If you think WhatsApp backup will eat up your Google Drive cloud storage, you need not worry. WhatsApp has mentioned that the WhatsApp chat backup does not take any space on Google Drive. However, it is important to note that media and messages you back up on Google Drive are not protected by WhatsApp’s end-to-end encryption.
How can I see WhatsApp Storage on Google Drive?
There is no direct way to see all the data backed up on Google Drive from WhatsApp. This is primarily because the data is end-to-end encrypted, meaning that you will not be able to read it on your PC or using any other third-party application. So the only way to access the WhatsApp backup is by restoring the same on your WhatsApp account. That said, you can see how much space WhatsApp backup has taken on your Google Drive. Here’s how:
- Go to drive.google.com on your laptop and sign in using your Google account.
- Once you are logged in, you will see a Gear icon at the top corner. Tap on it and then click on Settings.
- There you need to click on Managing apps from the side panel and scroll down until you find the WhatsApp folder.
With this, you will be able to see all the storage WhatsApp has taken on Google Drive.
People Also Ask about WhatsApp Chat Backup
Can I transfer WhatsApp backup from iCloud to Google Drive?
No, you can’t transfer the WhatsApp backup from iCloud to Google Drive directly. This is because the WhatsApp backup is stored with different encryptions on iCloud and Google Drive, which makes it quite impossible to transfer between two cloud storage services.
How Long do WhatsApp Messages stay on Google Drive?
As per WhatsApp, if you haven’t updated your WhatsApp backup data in more than one year then all the backups will be automatically removed from Google Drive. Moreover, every time you create a Google Drive backup using the same Google account, the previous backup with be overwritten and there is no way to restore an older Drive backup.