Table of Contents
- In previous versions of PowerPoint (2007 or earlier), adding a video was quite difficult.
- Things changed in the newer versions of PowerPoint (2010 or newer).
- Now you can add a video in PowerPoint in 2 different ways.
- First, you can insert a youtube video into your PowerPoint slides by embedding the video in it.
- Or you can add an already saved video on your PC in your ppt slides.
While PowerPoint endures one of the easiest ways to create a presentation, it’s also become one of the most dreaded parts of office life. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to overcome death by PowerPoint: embedded videos. But how you can actually achieve this is the real question.
With everyone around you suggesting you embed video in your ppt slides to make your presentation more attractive, do you know how to add video in PowerPoint? If not, no worries! We are here to help.
This is a step-by-step guide with pictures that will make embedding videos in PowerPoint easier for you. In addition, I will share 2 methods to add video in PowerPoint.
So without further ado, let’s get straight to them!
1st Way – Insert Youtube Video In PowerPoint
YouTube is the only streaming video site supported in PowerPoint (only versions 2010, 2013, 2016, and newer).
In earlier versions, YouTube videos were inserted using a hyperlink that linked to the video on YouTube. So, you just had to click on the link, and a new window on your web browser was immediately opened.
But, in newer versions, the video plays on your presentation without transitioning to a new page. To embed a YouTube video, first, follow the below steps:
- Open your slide where you want to insert a youtube video.
- Then click on insert, there you can see the video option.
- Here you can see the option “online video”, click on it. And then you will see the youtube option and a search bar in front of it. Here you can search and add any youtube video of your choice.
- Now, you just have to search with specific keywords for the video you want to add. Select the video, and click on “Insert”.
- Wait a few minutes for your video to load and when loaded, select the video and you will see two tabs that will help you modify the playback options. On the “Playback” tab, select “Start” and chose the way you want your video to load. You can also choose a few other options, such as how long you want the video to play, repeat options, or full screen.
This process is for PowerPoint 2016, but you can see the procedure below if you have other versions.
- Firstly, Open your web browser and select the video you want from YouTube.
- Click the “Share” button to see the available options.
- Select the “Embed” tab and copy the already highlighted code either
- by pressing Ctrl+C simultaneously or
- by right-clicking the selection and then “Copy”
- Open your PowerPoint presentation and select the slide you want to add the video to.
- Click on the “Insert” tab and select “Video”. There you will see the different options available.
- Below are the next steps depending on your PowerPoint versions.
For PowerPoint 2010
- If you are using PowerPoint 2010, you will see the option “Video from Website”.
- A pop-up window will appear that prompts you to paste the code you copied. Paste your code, click “Insert” and wait for your video to be loaded on your slide.
- When loaded, click on the video and two new tabs will appear to help you modify the playback options. On the “Playback” tab, select “Start” and chose the way you want your video to load. You can also choose a few other options, such as how long you want the video to play, repeat options or full screen.
For PowerPoint 2013
- In PowerPoint 2013, select the option “Online Video”.
- Click on “From a Video Embed Code” and paste your code in the right blank text area.
- Wait for your video to load and when loaded you can easily modify it from the two tabs that appear when you click on it.
When giving the presentation, despite the version you are using, be careful to be connected to the internet. Otherwise, the video will not load.
2nd Way – Embed A Video From Your Files
Let’s pretend that you have previously downloaded your video file on your computer and you have it put inside a folder or on your desktop. These are the steps you must follow:
- Open your PowerPoint presentation and choose the slide you want to add the video to.
- Click on the “Insert” tab and select “Video”.
- Choose “Video from file” (PowerPoint 2010)/”Video on My PC” (PowerPoint 2013/2016).
- And choose your video file from your folder and click on “Insert.”
- It will hold a few minutes for the video to load on your slide based on its size.
- When loaded, click on your video and two new tabs will show up to help you change the playback options. On the “Playback” tab, select “Start” and decide the way you want your video to load. You can also select a few other options, such as how long you want the video to play, repeat options or full screen. You can also resize the video just by dragging the corners.
- Save your presentation and you are ready. Your video is embedded in your presentation and you don’t have to be concerned about having an internet connection or a change in the directory.