- Before adding a list of figures in your Word document, you need to add captions to them.
- You can add a list of figures in Word from the references ribbon.
- The method of adding a list of figures in an MS Word document is the same as adding a list of tables.
Working on a report and want to add a list of figures to it? If you want to know how to add a list of figures in Word, read this article.
If you are searching how do I automatically insert a list of figures in word, here is the answer. This is a quick guide on how to insert a list of figures in MS word documents.
If your Microsoft Word document has many tables and figures in the appendices, you need to create a separate list of tables and figures in it. This how-to will make creating lists of figures less time-consuming.
Table of Contents
How To Add List Of Figures In Word
Before adding a list of figures in Word 2013, make sure you have given appropriate captions to them. But if you haven’t, follow the below steps to add captions to figures.
Firstly, click on the figure and then click on REFERENCES. Then click on Insert Caption.
From the dropdown against Label, choose Figure. By default, Word will caption it as Figure 1. Click OK.
Repeat this process for all the figures in your Word document. After captioning all the figures, you are ready to insert a list of figures into it.
Steps To Insert List Of Figures In Word 2013
- Type the heading List of Figures, assign the Heading 1 style, and click where you want to insert the list.
- Click on REFERENCES and then click List of figures.
- In the resulting dialog, choose Figure from the Caption Label dropdown.
- Uncheck the Use Hyperlinks Instead Of Page Numbers option.
- Click OK.
You will see that the list of figures has been added successfully.
How To Update List of Figures In Word
If you add, delete, change, or move captions, use Update Table so the list of figures reflects your changes.
- Click on the list of figures in your document. This will highlight the entire list.
- Click References > Update Table.
- Note: Update Table becomes an option only when you click the table of figures in your document. You can also press F9 to modify your list of figures.
- Select an Update in the in the Update Table of Figures dialog box.
- Select Update page numbers if you need to adjust the page numbers.
- Select Update entire table if you have moved figures or altered captions.
- Click OK.